What is a Traditional Guru versus a Version for the West?
Yogananda's Guru, Yukteswar - What is a Genuine Guru versus a version for the West.. Yogananda was GuruGnot a typical Eastern Guru read this and understand the difference. People come after reading Autobiography of a Yogi -- and they are expecting to have the softened version of Guru such as Yogananda and when they find out they have the Traditional version Such as Yukteswar then all manner of projections come into place such as this is a cult and power corrupts.
UNDERSTAND THIS IS A TRADITIONAL GURU AND AM NOT GOING TO PANDER TO EGOS NOR CHANGE THE PATH AS YOGANANDA WAS INSTRUCTED TO DO TO WORK WITH THOSE IN THE WEST. WHY? BECAUSE ONE DOESN'T GET TO REALIZATION THAT WAY... This Guru not interested in working with the superficial seekers...
READ Yogananada and Yukteswar's WORDS which will be following
IF THIS GURU IS A CULT THEN YOGANANDA CAME OUT OF A CULT. AS WHAT IS GIVEN HERE IS GIVEN IN THE SAME VEIN AS YUKETSWAR GAVE TO YOGANANDA AND THE SEEKERS IN INDIA....
CHAPTER 12 - Years in My Master's Hermitage
from Autobiography of a Yogi
* "You have come." Sri Yukteswar greeted me from a tiger skin on the floor of a balconied sitting room. His voice was cold, his manner unemotional.
"Yes, dear Master, I am here to follow you." Kneeling, I touched his feet.
- NONE HERE ARE REQUIRED TO TOUCH THE GURU'S FEET NOR KNEEL.. ALTHOUGH THIS IS A TRADITIONAL SIGN OF RESPECT FOR ONES GURU....
* "How can that be? You ignore my wishes.""No longer, Guruji! Your wish shall be my law!""That is better! Now I can assume responsibility for your life."
- DO YOU UNDERSTAND IT TAKES SURRENDER? YOGANANDA FULLY SURRENDERED TO HIS GURU ... THERE WASN'T ARGUMENT NOR LOOKING FOR PATS ON THE HEAD - NOR LOOKING FOR OTHER-WORLDLY MOTIVES OR SPOUTING CORRUPTION OR CULT SINCE THIS IS THE NORMAL TYPE OF GURU / CHELA RELATIONSHIP... UNDERSTAND WHAT A TRADITIONAL PATH IS AND IS NOT...
* "I willingly transfer the burden, Master."
"My first request, then, is that you return home to your family. I want you to enter college in Calcutta. Your education should be continued."
"Very well, sir." I hid my consternation. Would importunate books pursue me down the years? First Father, now Sri Yukteswar!
"Someday you will go to the West. Its people will lend ears more receptive to India's ancient wisdom if the strange Hindu teacher has a university degree."
- WHAT ADMONITIONS GIVEN ARE GIVE FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE SADHAKA... NONE OF THIS BENEFITS THE GURU... NOW YOGANANDA COULD HAVE STORMED AWAY BUT HE UNDERSTOOD THAT WHAT WAS BEING GIVEN AND THE DIRECTION WAS FOR HIS BENEFIT...
* Discipline had not been unknown to me: at home Father was strict, Ananta often severe. But Sri Yukteswar's training cannot be described as other than drastic. A perfectionist, my guru was hypercritical of his disciples, whether in matters of moment or in the subtle nuances of behavior.
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE DIDN'T SPEAK IN SOFT HONEYED TONES ? NOR DID HE SUBSTANTIATE ANY OF EGO'S STORIES ? NO - HE WAS A GURU AND GAVE WHAT NEEDED TO BE GIVEN OUT OF COMPASSION.
* Master was apparently satisfied with my spiritual progress, for he seldom referred to it; in other matters my ears were no strangers to reproof.
- SEEKERS THAT ARE GOING THE CORRECT WAY HERE MUCH LESS FROM THE GURU THAN THOSE WHO ARE NEEDING TO HAVE EGO BROKEN THROUGH..
* From transient teachers of my earlier life I had imbibed a few erroneous lessons. A chela, I was told, need not concern himself strenuously over worldly duties; when I had neglected or carelessly performed my tasks, I was not chastised. Human nature finds such instruction very easy of assimilation. Under Master's unsparing rod, however, I soon recovered from the agreeable delusions of irresponsibility.
- WHAT? MASTERS UNSPARING ROD !!! YOU MEAN HE DIDN'T LOVE HIM INTO UNDERSTANDING? COMPASSION GIVES THE UNVARNISHED TRUTH WHETHER EGO WANTS TO HEAR OR NOT....
* "Those who are too good for this world are adorning some other," Sri Yukteswar remarked. "So long as you breathe the free air of earth, you are under obligation to render grateful service. He alone who has fully mastered the breathless state16 is freed from cosmic imperatives. I will not fail to let you know when you have attained the final perfection."
- AND THIS IS THE WAY IT IS --- ONCE ATTAINED THIS WILL BE STATED... BUT EVEN WHEN MIND FALLS AWAY ONE IS NOT YET DONE.. THERE IS MORE TO GO.. ONE RENDERS GRATEFUL SERVICE AKA SEVA AS LONG AS ONE IS WITHIN THE WORLD..
* My guru could never be bribed, even by love. He showed no leniency to anyone who, like myself, willingly offered to be his disciple.
- NEITHER CAN THE CHANT OF CULT CAUSE THIS GURU TO BACK DOWN - AS WHAT IS GIVEN IS GIVEN CLEARLY FROM THE HEART.. COMPASSION ISN'T ALWAYS SYRUPY SWEET -- THERE IS THE TOUGH LOVE OF GURU'S THAT WORK TO BREAK THROUGH ALL THE EGOS IVORY TOWERS OF MISTAKEN NOTIONS.
* Whether Master and I were surrounded by his students or by strangers, or were alone together, he always spoke plainly and upbraided sharply.
- THIS IS THE WAY A TRADITIONAL GURU IS... IT'S THE NEW AGE RHETORIC THAT HAS THIS FALSE NOTION THAT BEING FORTHRIGHT IS ABUSIVE... A GURU SPEAKS THE SIMPLE PLAIN TRUTH OF THE MATTER AND IT'S SIMPLY NOT SOFTENED SO THE EGOS EARS AND MIND CAN WEAVE A TALE AROUND IT OF FANTASY. THAT ISN'T GOING TO TAKE PLACE WITH A TRADITIONAL GURU OR PATH...
* No trifling lapse into shallowness or inconsistency escaped his rebuke. This flattening treatment was hard to endure, but my resolve was to allow Sri Yukteswar to iron out each of my psychological kinks. As he labored at this titanic transformation, I shook many times under the weight of his disciplinary hammer.
- YOGANANDA SHOOK MANY TIMES UNDER THE WEIGHT OF THE DISCIPLINARY HAMMER . ARE YOU GETTING THAT HIS GURU WAS HONEST, OR ARE YOU GOING TO SAY HE WAS IN A CULT.
* "If you don't like my words, you are at liberty to leave at any time," Master assured me. "I want nothing from you but your own improvement. Stay only if you feel benefited."
- AND THIS IS THE WAY IT IS... NONE ARE CONSTRAINED TO STAY.. THE DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN TO WALK DOWN THE ROAD... MOST ARE SITTING AT HOME BEHIND A COMPUTER SCREEN AND THEY ARE CHAINED WHERE ?
* For every humbling blow he dealt my vanity, for every tooth in my metaphorical jaw he knocked loose with stunning aim, I am grateful beyond any facility of expression.
- DO YOU NOT SEE THAT YOGANANDA WAS GRATEFUL FOR WHAT WAS GIVEN AS HE KNEW IT WAS FOR HIS BENEFIT.. IT WASN'T FOR THE BENEFIT OF EGO.. IT WAS IN PLACE TO BREAK THROUGH EGO AND EGOTISTICAL STORIES THAT WILL CHOKE AND BLIND ONE TO WHAT IS UNDERNEATH... HERE RATHER THAN GRATITUDE PEOPLE START YELLING CULT AND OTHER UNSAVORY THINGS AS THEY ARE MANUFACTURING A FALSE IDEA OF WHAT A GURU IS AND WHAT A TRADITIONAL GURU DOES....
* The hard core of human egotism is hardly to be dislodged except rudely. With its departure, the Divine finds at last an unobstructed channel. In vain It seeks to percolate through flinty hearts of selfishness.
- READ THE ABOVE A NUMBER OF TIMES... THE HARD CORE OF HUMAN EGOTISM IS HARDLY TO BE DISLODGED EXCEPT RUDELY... IT ISN'T LOVED AWAY -- IT GOES BY HARD TRUTH....
* Sri Yukteswar's wisdom was so penetrating that, heedless of remarks, he often replied to one's unspoken observation. "What a person imagines he hears, and what the speaker has really implied, may be poles apart," he said. "Try to feel the thoughts behind the confusion of men's verbiage."
- THIS IS THE TRUTH OF IT... "WHAT A PERSON IMAGINES HE HEARS, AND WHAT THE SPEAKER (GURU) HAS REALLY IMPLIED MAY BE POLES APART.. UNDERSTAND ON THE NET YOU ARE READING INTO WHAT IS BEING SAID AND PUTTING EMOTION BEHIND IT THAT IS MOST OFTEN NOT NEARLY THE CASE... SEEKERS SEE ANGER ,WHEN ANGER IS THE FURTHEST THING FROM THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER - BUT BECAUSE THE WORDS ARE STRONG YOU ASSUME THERE IS ANGER IN PLACE...
* But divine insight is painful to worldly ears; Master was not popular with superficial students.
- READ THE ABOVE MANY TIMES... **** DIVINE INSIGHT IS PAINFUL TO WORLDLY EARS *** **** MASTER WAS NOT POPULAR WITH SUPERFICIAL STUDENTS **** THAT IS THE WAY THAT IT IS... MOST COME AND BAIL AFTER A SHORT TIME AS THEY HAVEN'T THE STAYING POWER TO BREAK THROUGH THE EGO STANCES THEY DRAG IN WITH...
* The wise, always few in number, deeply revered him. I daresay Sri Yukteswar would have been the most sought-after guru in India had his words not been so candid and so censorious.
- PURE TRUTH ISN'T VALUED -- CLARITY AND POINTED ACTION ISN'T VALUED... EGO WANTS EVERYTHING TO BE SOFT AND COZY BUT THIS ISN'T THE PATH GIVEN BY A TRADITIONAL GURU THAT IS HERE TO BREAK THROUGH TO REALIZATION.. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND HOW PRICELESS AND DIFFICULT A TRADITIONAL GURU AND PATH IS THOSE ARE THE ONES THAT VALUE IT'S PIERCING TRUTH AND CLARITY..
* "I am hard on those who come for my training," he admitted to me. "That is my way; take it or leave it. I will never compromise.
- AS YUKTESWAR WAS I AM .... TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT AM NOT GOING TO BACK DOWN NOR CHANGE TO PANDER TO NOR CATER TO EGOS WHIMS AND PROJECTIONS. THIS PATH IS GOING TO REMAIN A TRADITIONAL PATH. SO IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT THEN RUN FOR THE DOOR AND STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN.. YOU ARE HERE TO BE COOKED UNTIL DONE -- UNTIL THE MEAT SOFTENS AND FALLS OFF THE BONES OF IT'S OWN ACCORD.. YOU ARE NOT HERE TO BE FED BEER AND MASSAGED LIKE KOBE BEEF.
* But you will be much kinder to your disciples; that is your way. I try to purify only in the fires of severity, searing beyond the average toleration.
- UNDERSTAND THIS IS THIS TYPE OF PATH... THIS GURU IS NOT YOGANANADA - THE FOCUS IS ON BREAKING THROUGH EGO - THE SAME WAY THAT YUKTESWAR'S FOCUS WAS ALSO ON BRINGING REALIZATION..
* The gentle approach of love is also transfiguring. The inflexible and the yielding methods are equally effective if applied with wisdom. You will go to foreign lands, where blunt assaults on the ego are not appreciated.
- FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO BEGIN YELLING CULT WHEN THE EGO ISN'T PERCEIVING THE GENTLE APPROACH ARE LOOKING FOR A YOGANANDA AND THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT NOT ALL GURU'S NOR PATHS ARE GOING TO WORK IN THAT MANNER... YUKTESWAR NEVER WORKED IN THAT VEIN AND NEITHER DOES THIS GURU... IT'S NOT ABUSIVE TO BE FIRM AND GIVE POINTED CLARITY AT EVERY TURN PULLING THE RUG OUT FROM EGO WHENEVER IT THINKS IT HAS FOUND A PLACE TO REST... THIS IS A VERY EFFECTIVE MODALITY BUT NOT ONE FOR EVERY SEEKER... AM NOT HERE TO BE A WORLD GURU LIKE YOGANANDA --- AM NOT HERE TO ATTEMPT TO SHOW THE GENTLE TRUTH TO BRING THE RELIGIONS TOGETHER.. AM HERE TO BREAK THROUGH EGO AND TO GIVE THAT WHICH WILL TAKE THOSE INTENT ON GOING FORWARD TO REALIZTION...
* A teacher could not spread India's message in the West without an ample fund of accommodative patience and forbearance." I refuse to state the amount of truth I later came to find in Master's words!
- AS A GURU THAT IS THE TRADITIONAL STYLE OF GURU --- THERE WILL BE MANY COMING AND THEN YELLING FOUL AND ATTEMPTING TO MAKE ALL SORTS OF DECLARATIONS OF BEING TREATED HARSHLY - EVEN PROJECTING THAT THIS IS A CULT SIMPLY BECAUSE THIS GURU IS GOING TO BE UNCOMPROMISING IN WHAT IS GIVEN AND HOW IT IS GIVEN.. EVEN YOGANANDA WITH ALL THE LOVE HE PREACHED CLAIMS THAT HE REFUSES TO STATE THE AMOUNT OF TRUTH THAT HE FOUND IN THE MASTERS WORDS.. IN OTHER WORDS THOSE OF THE WEST ARE GOING TO FLY OFF THE HANDLE AND MAKE ALL SORTS OF PROJECTIONS WHEN THEIR EGOS ARE ASSAULTED ... WELL THE PATH TO REALIZATION IS SIMPLY THAT --- BREAKING THROUGH THE EGO AND MELTING IT DOWN IN THE FIRES AND FLAMES OF THE CAULDRON OF PRACTICES AND GUIDANCE AND BURNING AWAY THE DROSS OF THE MENTALFABRICATIONS AND EGOS STANCES....
AS A GURU AM GOING TO CONTINUE TO GIVE WHAT MAY BE GIVEN IN THE BEST WAY TO BREAK THROUGH EGO TO TRUTH... AM NOT GOING TO CHANGE THIS TO SUIT THE GENERAL PUBLIC NOR THE WATERED DOWN SUPERFICIAL SEEKERS LOOKING FOR A FEEL GOOD PATH TO PROP THEMSELVES UP WITH.... AM NOT GOING TO APOLOGIZE FOR GIVING UNCOMPROMISING GUIDANCE AND PATH TO LIBERATION...
OM MAHA SHANTI
OM NAMO NARAYAN
A Quote From a Student of Guru Swami-G:
While at Ananda church of Self-realization long time ago, when the direct disciple of Yogananda come to visit, he would tell all followers that is much easy to follow Yogananda`s teachings in written manner, while is much harder to follow Yogananda when he was alive. Many - he would say, whom are following Yogananda today, may have not submitted to him while he was alive.
I understood that when i found Swami-G, the difference to follow a book and a living Guru. The book i used to fit into my own ego-understanding, deluding myself that i am surrendering to truth, to the Guru, but it was just the idea of it, while in actuality the ego was glorifying itself with the teachings.
The first things that happened when submitted to Swami-G, was to receive a hard blow on the big mouth that I opened in proclaiming the actuality of truth. It took several days of inquiry to bring sanity and calm the mind from its offensive/defensive attitude, but since then i am been more focused on the practices and have no interested in philosophical accumulations for chit chat, thus the mind is so much calmer, there is this balance that was not before, for this i am so grateful its unspeakable, no book could have done this, such a blessings is to have true living Sat Guru. OM Kali MA........